Frequently asked questions
An experienced consultant brings you at least three valuable things:
- Insights regarding what works and what does not work based on breadth of experience with other organizations
- An objective 3rd party as a thought partner with you and your team, toward discovering best answers to challenging issues, particularly important during times of disruption and massive change
- Expertise that you can “hire” instead of having to “buy”:
- Immediate access to important insights and skills without having to invest in employee vetting, training, salary and benefits.
- High-level expertise can be “bite-sized” to your needs and budget with the possibility of a long term, value-added relationship based on additional need and perceived benefit over time
Proven effectiveness in developing powerful, effective and comprehensive leadership at all levels of an organization:
- EQIQ brings a Holistic Perspective and a Framework with practical tools and strategic methodology for building whole-hearted, highly effective leadership at all levels of your organization. This foundation is found in Robert “Dusty” Staub’s seminal book "The Heart of Leadership: 12 Practices of Courageous Leaders", the first book on the market to offer a comprehensive look at the connection between seven main drivers of effective leadership.
- Our founder Robert "Dusty" Staub, through his clinical expertise as a psychotherapist as well as from the systems perspective he employed during his earlier work as a Marital and Family Therapist, has brought an in-depth understanding of how the human mind and heart can best work together. This approach is used by all EQIQ consultants.
- Practical, hands-on tools and skills development in applied leadership competencies and methodology.
- EQIQ Leadership brings over thirty five years of wide-ranging experience, consulting with organizations from Fortune 100 to smaller family-run companies. Our work has included teams in Public Safety, Governmental Agencies, Municipalities, Not-for-Profits as well as in innovative Start-Ups.
- Dusty Staub has written 4 books and had more than 200 articles published on key topics in the Strategic Human System Field: Leadership, Creating High Performance Teams, Personal Mastery, Change Dynamics, Transformation, High Performance Work Cultures, Dealing with Difficult People, Conflict Strategies, etc.
- EQIQ customizes the approach to each client and client system based on their unique needs, while bringing a core methodology that is tested, proven and effective across multiple platforms, industries and people.
- EQIQ offers a powerful and focused array of methods and tools for individual leadership development, cultural transformation, team performance and organizational effectiveness.
It is a comprehensive, holistic perspective that looks at seven major drivers of leadership effectiveness:
- Core Purpose – What is your life all about? What is the core purpose, the “soul” of your organization, your team? This provides the center, the “gyroscope” that lets you know when you are on center and when off-center. It provides the overarching context for all work that is done and for all actions you take.
- Vision – What is the future pull for your career? For your organization? What is the time-limited and focused “meta-goal” that helps to orient, direct and inspire you and those around you?
- Courage – Where are you strong and where are you weak? Where is your organization and team strong and weak, with respect to each of the seven (7) Acts of Courage? Where your courage stops, in any one of the major Acts, your leadership effectiveness stops. Do you know the key 7 Acts of Courage? Staub wrote the book on courage, "The 7 Acts of Courage: Bold Leadership for a Wholehearted Life," with personal and business examples and specific exercises to develop the Act(s) you most need to develop.
- Competency – What do you need to do? How do you need to get it done? Competency is based on Strategic Thinking, Tactical Execution and Insights into other people and how to tap their motivational energy and talents. Where are you strongest? Where are you least developed in critical leadership competencies? EQIQ can help you assess the strengths to leverage as well as the specific areas to develop by introducing the methodologies and skills needed to become highly effective.
- Integrity – Where do you stand with keeping your word or following through on your commitments? How do you hold others to their commitments? What does Accountability look like in you organization, your team, your family? EQIQ has developed “Systemic Accountability” as a discipline that incorporates a flow chart of practices and skills to build highly accountable teams, organization and personal life.
- Intimacy – How well can you read and understand other people? How deep is your insight into yourself? What is the current status of the self-awareness you have and that members of your team have of themselves and others? Intimacy is the dimension of connectedness, of reading and understanding others, of being able to effectively relate to and tap core motivational energy in those around you.
- Passion – What is the level of commitment, buy-in, “can-do” attitude you demonstrate and that is evident in those around you? How can you “liberate” the passion of others? As the saying goes: “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink?” Do you know how to get the “horse” thirsty?
These seven major drivers are supported by 12 significant “practices” (each with related tools and skills) that enable powerful, sustainable leadership performance.
Where your Courage stops is where your effectiveness in life stops. What is your current Courage Quotient (CQ)? You already have courage in your life or you would not have gotten to where you are today. The key question is, “Do you have the courage required to be your BEST SELF, to live the life you were meant to live?”
Robert "Dusty" Staub has developed a Courage Quotient (CQ) analytical tool to help you discern where you are strongest in key Acts of Courage and where you are least developed. This methodology, based on his book The 7 Acts of Courage: Bold Leadership for a Wholehearted Life, will help you address and then develop the courage you need. Most important to know is that it is the Act of Courage you have least developed that is your Achilles heel in work and life. It is the thing you keep stumbling over until you face into your fear and develop the courage to move forward with greater grace and power.
- You Matter – You are Important (to everyone around you)
- What We Are Doing Matters – Quality, Accountability, Diligence, Focus, Service matters to customers–to keep our business viable and for the sustainability of meaningful work for all on the team
- Together, We Can Create the Extraordinary – Only if messages one and two above are sent can you INVITE people to create the Extraordinary with you in terms of Results, Relationships, Passion, Engagement, Commitment, Enjoyment, Honesty, Development, Compassion and Growth
Diversity within people without appreciation for diversity between people. Diversity exists with respect to Motivational Value Systems; generational, multi-cultural and socio-economic perspectives; the way experiences are processed, framed and lived from. Without an appreciation for diversity, the outcome ranges from annoyance to crippling conflict, from misunderstanding to missed golden opportunities.
- People are different and they need to be understood. The Golden rule only works when people are “like” you, otherwise you need the Platinum Rule: “Do Unto Others As They Would HAVE You Do Unto Them.”
- Diversity offers great enrichment and opportunities for innovation and more effective performance. On the other hand, when not understood and worked with, it creates misunderstandings, conflict, pain and resistance, decreasing communication, collaboration, learning and performance. It is like “sand in the gear box,” creating needless friction, wear and tear.
- There are many tools and insights to help you understand each other and to help create more powerful work cultures and work environments. At EQIQ, we know these approaches and have pioneered some simple, powerful and effective tools to help improve leadership impact, team working patterns and bottom-line outcomes for a more productive work culture.
- There are specific, powerful tools to improve communication, listening skills and engagement between people, teams and groups. At EQIQ, we use a simple methodology called: INTENT-BEHAVIOR-RESULTS (I-B-R), with additional practices and strategies to dramatically improve communication, understanding, listening, cooperation, conflict resolution and collaboration.
No one wants to make it “hard” – that is simply a by-product of misunderstandings, lack of training, good intentions backed up with ineffective or damaging behaviors based on how people have got things “figured out.”
- EQIQ brings expertise and deep understanding of human relationship dynamics to bear in helping people “figure it out better,” so that work becomes more effective, efficient and fun, with far less “friction” than often happens.
- The holistic understanding of motivational value systems, people dynamics, systems thinking and wholehearted leadership sets EQIQ Leadership a world apart from other consulting firms. There is depth and mastery that can be transferred to individuals, teams, groups and organizations.
- EQIQ brings a Strategic Thinking Perspective in terms of WHAT needs to happen and WHAT needs to be addressed in order to make things work better.
- EQIQ brings specific tactical action steps, skills and tools to address challenges, difficulties and patterns of behavior and to make things reliably work more positively with other human beings in your system.
- EQIQ brings an understanding of the importance of Heart, the source of all Emotional Intelligence (EQ): of showing caring, compassion, courage, passion, commitment, integrity and insight.
Issues such as too much ego (arrogance) or too little ego (lack of confidence), impatience, lack of self-awareness, lack of ability to read others, lack of self-control, lack of compassion, misunderstanding, fear, jealousy, resentment – these ALL contribute to breakdowns in collaboration and they create unnecessary friction in your team and organization.
- Passion cannot be commanded or ordered or compelled – it has to be invited.
- You have to have insight into what motivates others, their Motivational Value System (MVS)
- As Lt. Colonel Bob Staub (Dusty's father) used to say, “Any darn fool can tell you that you can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink. The trick, son, is to get the horse thirsty!” Knowing what makes someone “thirsty” – what motivates him or her, is required if you are to liberate his or her passion.
- Innovation is the result of Passion and Vulnerability coming together in a marriage of Diversity where multiple perspectives are honored, sought out and built upon.
- Innovation requires psychological safety so that people can expose their thinking and assumptions, in addition to a strategically structured methodology for generating ideas, playing with ideas, vetting ideas and then putting them into traction through focused action.
- Innovation requires passion and vulnerability – these can be invited and an environment can be created for sustaining them – they cannot be compelled or forced. Passion and vulnerability must be modeled by senior leadership in order to flourish and be sustained.
Harvard Business Review has highlighted the importance of the Emotional Intelligence of teams in order to have high performance, rapid learning and sustainable results.
- EQIQ (as Staub Leadership International) was selected from more than 8 consulting firms by McKinsey to implement their Strategic Plan for a large health care system. The charge: Build effective, high-performance teamwork at the senior level and across the system. The result: a swing from a loss of eighty million dollars one year, to a profit of 5 million dollars eighteen months later.
- The level of communication, trust, openness, and collaboration behaviors (all EQ factors) determines the success and effectiveness of the team. EQIQ has proven methodologies to build all of these factors.
- At EQIQ we are certified to use several tools that are specific to helping teams understand and collaborate with each other better: Predictive Index and Core Strengths Strengths Deployment Inventory.
Develop Customer Intimacy! Gain deep insights into your customers’ needs, challenges, limitations, strategies and requirements while also building high trust and high reliability in what you bring toward a value-added relationship.
- EQIQ can help you develop the strategies, approaches and skills to build greater customer intimacy.
- EQIQ typically works with organizational clients over an average span of nine years, introducing effective solutions and generating powerful, highly valued customer intimacy. This can be learned and then used by your organization with your customers.
Understanding MVS increases your effectiveness as a leader, influencer and team member at work (and also in your personal life!) It helps to minimize unwarranted conflict that is created by misunderstandings and mismatches in behaviors when someone operating from a particular MVS interacts with someone motivated quite differently.
You can do this by becoming more wholehearted in understanding yourself and others and by practicing the approach and skills that foster win-win collaboration.
- Know your core purpose and bring that to work everyday
- Set a vision for yourself that is worthy of your purpose.
- Become more self-aware and learn how to read others more effectively. Learn about the Motivational Value System of others.
- Use powerful, simple tools such as Intent-Behavior-Results (I-B-R) as taught by EQIQ
- Learn how to speak in simpler, more direct and more connected ways based on the person in front of you.
When you realize the power you have to touch another person’s heart by first taking the time to use effective “Active Listening” skills, you will set the stage for others to be open to hearing you. You will be better prepared to to express your message in a clear, effective way that truly connects with the other person or group. You do this by increasing your awareness, your ability to read others and through simple, focused tools that allow you to tap into how the human mind and heart function. EQIQ can help you with all of this.
Learn to create a sense of Psychological Safety in your interactions with others.
At EQIQ we teach you how to use “Power questions” paired with active listening skills. We encourage you to make use of “Yes, And…” as a way to invite open up and provide more ideas and input that can be actively built upon. These basics are covered in our foundational, open-seating, 3-day leadership program, now offered virtually, Whole-Hearted Leadership Development. They are also woven in to our intact team and custom- designed coaching and training for individual organizations.
You build respectful working relationship by modeling respectful behaviors yourself. These include using good active listening behaviors, engaging “Yes, And” to build upon ideas, being consistent, inviting versus coercing, being reliable, focusing on solutions, encouraging others, and following up on questions and ideas. All of these can be learned and you can learn to coach others to grow in these areas. The payoff is HUGE! EQIQ can help you learn these skills as well as to develop them within your team and work culture.
First, adopt an effective Change Framework and understand the 4 Emotional Intelligence (EQ) Drivers of Change Leadership. EQIQ has pioneered powerful, effective change leadership strategies, tactics and methodologies for individuals as well as organizations. The 4 EQ Drivers of Effective Change Leadership are:
- Core Orientation – Purpose, Vision, Principles and Value – Who We Are and Why We Are Here
- Expanding Perspective – Being able to shift to a more expansive perspective, breaking with old assumptions and patterns of thinking, seeing new possibilities and opportunities, and making “Shift” happen
- Confidence – Reminding people of other big changes they have been through and survived, instilling a sense “We can and will get through this together.” Learning to build confidence and thus liberate capacity.
- Resilience – The ability to “bounce back” from a fall or adversity or when life throws you a “curve ball”. EQIQ teaches what goes into creating Resilience; how to develop it individually, collectively and organizationally while building the capacity to be more adaptive, flexible and open.
- Change is hard because we have to stop doing what comes automatically and easily and do something that will demand more effort, diligence and attention from us
- Change requires that we deal with the resistance within ourselves as well as the resistance within others
- Change follows a “wave action” of disruption, uncertainty, discomfort, effort and resolution – it requires a higher level of energy and puts us at risk
- Change makes us and others uncomfortable
- There is a clear methodology and Change Leadership Framework that will help you and your organization (your team, your family) be more effective and efficient in moving through waves of change. Staub has developed it over the years and it is tried, tested and effective
- You need to access all 4 Core EQ Drivers of Change: Orientation, Perspective, Confidence and Resilience. EQIQ can help with all of these.
- Change is constant and will continue. Wouldn’t you like to know how to be master of Change versus a victim of it?